Wednesday, 1 September 2010

Sherlock Chic? Elementary my dear Watson

This summer's hit TV show has undoubtedly been the BBC's modern take on Arthur Conan Doyle's classic sleuth Sherlock.

The superb three part series has propelled star Benedict Cumberbatch into the upper echelons of the style stakes.

Women love him. Men want to be him. I think that may have originally been said about Austin Powers, but if the deerstalker fits...



And, according to bespoke Savile Row tailor Cad and the Dandy, the style has really taken off.

“Sherlock Chic is sweeping the bespoke market,” explained co-founder of Cad and the Dandy, James Sleater.

“The sartorial sleekness of Benedict Cumberbatch’s portrayal of Holmes in the BBC series has caught the national imagination.”

Mr Sleater, who was a City banker before launching Cad and the Dandy two years ago, said the store had been inundated with requests for Sherlock style long, tailored coats.

“Very long coats and even capes are going to be fashionable this winter and when worn with professionally tailored white shirts, as they are by Benedict Cumberbatch , they look stunning,” he said.

However, footy casuals should not get too excited.

“We’ve had no enquiries about deerstalkers to date.” laughed Mr Sleater.

Well Mr Sleater. I wore mine at Fortress Withdean last season and only around 80 per cent of fellow Brighton fans laughed at it. The other 20 per cent may of course not have seen it.

Particularly popular with Leeds fans, the deerstalker adds a refined edge to the normal sports casual look.

And, if Sherlock Chic does take off, keep an eye out for already much-loved Barbour.

Quilted jackets dominated the New Chap look of last season, long coats and deerstalkers look like picking up where the hunting gear left off.

No comments:

Post a Comment